- There is a wide variety of acrylic from rather soft to very hard.
- Routing acrylic is convenient although obtaining a smooth/transparent edge requires extra attention.
- The wear on the bit is higher than on PVC but still acceptable.
- It is advised not use bits that have been in other materials
- Summa’s universal bits can route acrylic, however the edge quality isn’t optimal. Specialized bit stores have specific bits for Acrylic.
- Standard router:
- Speed (4mm Summa bit) : 60mm/sec•Higher speed is possible but effects edge quality significant.
- To obtain better edge quality, a lower speed (10-40mm/sec) for the cleaning pass is recommended
- Counter clock wise - (small bit (3mm) – clock wise)•The edge quality improves with thicker bit diameters•Using a cleaning pass is strongly recommended.•Embossing large areas in clear acrylic will not look very good.
Modified on: Mon, 4 Feb, 2019 at 11:00 AM
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.